Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

What type of account should insurance reimbursement checks

What type of account should insurance reimbursement checks be posted to ?
Category: Finance
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

Megan C :

Thank you for your question, and thanks for using JustAnswer.com

Megan C :

If you had expensed the cost of medical care, you would credit the expense account for the amount of the reimbursement

Megan C :

If you created a receivable (you knew the reimbursement was coming and did not expense the cost) then you would credit the receivable account created

Customer:

lol, what if I did neither ?

Customer:

Create a medical receivable acct

Megan C :

That's the only two ways to properly record insurance reimbursement.

Megan C :

So when you pay out medical expenses you will debit receivables for the expected reimbursement, and debit expense for your portion of the expense and credit cash

Megan C :

or accounts payable, depending on when you plan on paying the bill

Megan C :

Then, when you receive the check for reimbursement you will debit cash and credit receivable, or credit expense if you did not create a receivable.

Megan C :

Do you have any further questions about this?

Megan C :

If you have no further questions, please rate as excellent so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Customer:

sorry, stepped out.

Customer:

This is not from a previous bill. When I go to the doctor we receive a supplement check but it is not associated with a previously paid bill

Megan C :

So you will debit cash and credit medical expense

Customer:

If I deposit debit my checking account and CR medical expenses.

Megan C :

That is correct

Megan C :

Is there anything else that I can assist you with today?

Megan C :

If there's nothing else I can assist you with today, Please rate as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Customer:

thank you.

Experience: Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your positive rating. Please come back and see me any time you have a tax, finance, or social security question. It was a pleasure working with you today.

In the future you may receive a short survey. Your feedback on that survey would be greatly appreciated, as it assists me with my rankings on the site. Thanks again.