Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I have received $220,00 profit from a construction contract.

Customer Question

I have received $220,00 profit from a construction contract. I plan on buying a home in cash soon for the same amount with this money. Do I need to pay taxes on this money.
Category: Finance
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

Megan C :

Thank you for your question, and thanks for using JustAnswer.com. Yes, you will need to pay tax on the funds from the construction contract

Megan C :

You cannot deduct the cost of purchasing your home, or defer taxes because of this.

Megan C :

So, you will pay tax on the construction contract profits

Customer :

What rat of tax would I pay

Megan C :

What is your other income, and do you file as single, head of household, or a married filing joint return?

Customer :

Married filing jointly. Spouse is a teacher receiving $30,000 annually

Megan C :

So you have $250,000 of joint income that year?

Customer :

More like $320,000

Megan C :

You will be in the 33% tax bracket

Megan C :

OK you will be in the 33% tax bracket

Megan C :

so 33%

Customer :

Is there any tax break for buying a house

Megan C :

No, there is not

Megan C :

Only tax benefits of home ownership are that you can deduct mortgage interest and real estate taxes if you itemize, and when you sell the house at a gain you can exclude a portion of that gain

Megan C :

Do you have any further questions about this matter

Megan C :

If you have no further questions about this matter, please take a moment to rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to help you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you in this matter. I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question Thanks again for being a JustAnswer customer