Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Financial Expert
Experience:  Extensive Experience with Tax, Financial & Estate Issues
30050794

Depositing a check... I have a large check from our company

Depositing a check...

I have a large check from our company Union that I need to deposit into our personal bank account in person . It is made out to my husband's name but he is working during the bank's business hours and so I need to take it in. It seems like with all personal checks I have deposited in the past, I have been able to do so smoothly and the teller did not require a signature in the bank. With other checks that were it from bigger companies, sometimes the bank requests a signature in the back, and sometimes they don't. My question is... Just to be safe, so I don't get turned away the first time... Is it always safe to sign the back of the check? I'm thinking I should have my husband sign the back of the check at home, then I'll deposit it to the bank tomorrow. Is there any circumstance that a bank would not honor the check if it's signed in the back... Or signed in the back and not in their presence?

Hope that makes sense... Thanks!
Category: Finance
Expert:  Stephen G. replied 3 years ago.

Stephen G. :

Hello, my name isXXXXX & I'll be helping you today. My goal is to give you a complete & accurate answer that you can understand.

Stephen G. :

As long as your husband's name is XXXXX XXXXX bank account, there should be no problem. He should endorse the check on the bank and it should be marked "For Deposit Only to Acct. # XXXXX"; that way the check should just be deposited to the bank account with no problem.

Stephen G. :

"endorse the check on the bank" should be "endorse the check on the back"

Stephen G. :

endorse meaning he should sign his name exactly as it is shown on the front of the check.

Stephen G. :

Questions?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay, let me repeat that back so I understand. As long as the name on the check matches the name on the checking account, I should be able to deposit my husband's check without him there with no problem. And on the back of the check... He should write... Deposit to checking #: XXXX and sign his name also?
Yes. He should write "For Deposit Only to Checking Acct. #" & then sign his name exactly as it is written on the check.