Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level

I have 100,000 in outstanding student loans. Besides our mortgage

I have 100,000 in outstanding student loans. Besides our mortgage that is our only debt. I also have 160,000 in cash that is making next to nothing in a money market. It represents a large portion of our savings. Should I use some of those funds to pay off the loan or invest it. The loan is at 4.25%. I'm 44. Please advise. Thanks.
Category: Finance
Expert:  Megan C replied 11 months ago.

MyVirtualCPA :

Thank you for your question, and thanks for using JustAnswer.com

MyVirtualCPA :

You should use the cash to pay off your student loans. My answer would be different if the market was better and you could get better rates on your money market.

Customer:

Hello.

MyVirtualCPA :

However, the current rates of return are not enough to make investing the funds more attractive.

Customer:

So bite the bullet and send the check. Its tough to do.

MyVirtualCPA :

I know it is, but think of how you are freeing yourself from the debt

MyVirtualCPA :

You no longer have to worry about it...

MyVirtualCPA :

You will still have $60,000 left - that's a good nest egg

Customer:

I know. It is always in the back of my mind.

MyVirtualCPA :

My answer would be different if you had only $100,000

Customer:

It is but its a step back from building for retirement.

MyVirtualCPA :

But you will still have a good emergency savings balance

MyVirtualCPA :

These funds are NOT in an IRA or401(k) right?

MyVirtualCPA :

This is cash

Customer:

I do. But I'm 44 and don't want to work forever.

Customer:

Cash.

Customer:

I figured you would say that but wanted to hear it from a Pro.

MyVirtualCPA :

Okay. Great. IF you had to pull the funds from a retirement account, I would tell you not to do that because of the tax impacts

Customer:

Thanks for the advice. Know I need to figure out where to put the existing cash.

MyVirtualCPA :

It depends on your risk comfort level

Customer:

Low.

MyVirtualCPA :

If it's all you have, a money market would be wise. But, when you save up even more money you can look to invest in stocks and bonds

MyVirtualCPA :

But I always say don't put money in the stock market that you can't afford to lose

Customer:

I've been there and lost alot hence the 160,000 in a money market.

Customer:

Thanks for the advice. I think I will get rid of the loans.

MyVirtualCPA :

I'm glad I could help today. Another thing you could invest in is real estate - become a landlord

MyVirtualCPA :

You could bring yourself a steady stream of income each month, but there too there is some risk of loss, such as not being able to find a tenant or having someone destroy your property

Customer:

That was a possible plan for the cash.

Customer:

Perhaps I will consider that more strongly. Once I clear the loan balance I will be better able to get another mortgage.

MyVirtualCPA :

It will be easier for you to get financing on a house once you get rid of the student loan debt

MyVirtualCPA :

Exactly

Customer:

I think its what I have to do. Thanks for your help.

MyVirtualCPA :

You're welcome. If you would, please rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Customer:

I'll do that. Take care.

MyVirtualCPA :

You too!

Experience: Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
Expert:  Megan C replied 11 months ago.
Thanks, John for your positive rating. Please come back and visit MyVirtualCPA for any of your tax, finance, or social security needs. It was a pleasure working with you today.