Rakhi Vasavada
Rakhi Vasavada, Financial and Legal Consultant
Experience:  Graduated in law with Emphasis on Finance and have have been working in financial sector for over 12 Years
43581946

I have been offered a 28/28 rotation in Iraq and will spend

I have been offered a 28/28 rotation in Iraq and will spend the time off at my home in the UK. My company will pay my Iraqi taxes and provide me with a nett payment. Will I be able to offset these Iraqi income taxes against my UK taxes and do you know where I can find out Iraqi income tax rates?
Category: Finance
Expert:  Rakhi Vasavada replied 1 year ago.
Dear Friend,

Tax shall be imposed on the taxpayer in respect of each year of assessment at the following rates – resident individual after granting the allowance(s) provided for in Article 12, and non-resident individual:
• at the rate of 3% on amounts up to ID 250,000;

• at the rate of 5% on amounts over ID 250,000 and up to ID 500,000;

• at the rate of 10% on amounts over ID 500,000 and up to ID 1,000,000;

• at the rate of 15% on amounts over ID 1,000,000.

Please note that you will not be able to offset tax paid in Iraq as UK does not have tax treaty with Iraq for avoidance of double taxation

I am sure this would help.

You may please leave a positive rating if this helps as that is the only way we receive credit for assisting you. Alternatively feel absolutely free to revert with more queries if you have.

Warm Regards...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Rakhi,

Thank you for your reply. I saw on the HMRC website that there is no double taxation treaty but I have also found reference to 'DT9081 - Iraq: Admissible Taxes' which states that Iraq is admissible for unilateral relief on income tax. Does this not cover some of my UK tax liability?

Regards,

Steve.

Dear Friend,

Hello and welcome again. thank you for your follow up question.

I am sorry but this too shall not apply. I was aware of this. Your Iraq income can be given unilateral relief by UK. It is Iraq, your employer who has to give you relief. In nutshell, this is not relevant and does not apply in your case.

I am sure this would help.

Warm Regards...
Dear XXXXX,

Is there anything more I can assist you with?

Warm Regards...
Experience: Graduated in law with Emphasis on Finance and have have been working in financial sector for over 12 Years