Rakhi Vasavada
Rakhi Vasavada, Financial and Legal Consultant
Experience:  Graduated in law with Emphasis on Finance and have have been working in financial sector for over 12 Years
43581946

I have been receiving PHI payments for some years now through

I have been receiving PHI payments for some years now through an employer scheme, with the premiums paid by the employer and treated as a benefit in kind. My employer went bust a couple of years ago and since then I have received monthly payments direct from the insurance company with tax deducted at source. The insurance company has now offered me a lump sum in full and final settlement.

Is this lump sum taxable?
If it is taxable, is it taxed as one years income?
Category: Finance
Expert:  Rakhi Vasavada replied 1 year ago.
Dear Friend,

Hello and welcome. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Yes... PHI payouts are taxable , but not wholly.

The employer may provide the funds for sick pay directly or through a trust or insurance policy. Whichever method is used, the sums paid to employees are taxable as earnings within Section 62 or Section 221 ITEPA 2003.As the amount to be taxed is the same in either case it will not usually be necessary to decide which section applies. However, Section 221 covers the situation where the employee may have contributed to the fund that provides the sick pay. In such cases only that part of the sick pay attributable to the employer’s contributions are charged to income tax.

It will pay up to 60 per cent of your salary free of tax (or 75 per cent if it is an employer’s policy – but you are taxed on the income) either until you are able to resume work again, or until the plan expires, typically at 50, 55, 60 or 65 years of age.

Because the aim of a PHI policy is to replace earnings lost through sickness or injury without reducing your financial incentive to return to work, all policies set a maximum income benefit limit. This used to be 75% of average monthly earnings in the year before disablement, minus state benefits and benefits from any other disability insurance. But now PHI benefits are tax-free, the usual maximum benefit is between 50% and 60% of a claimant's gross salary, plus state benefits.

I am sure this would help.

You may please leave a positive rating if this helps as that is the only way we receive credit for assisting you. Alternatively feel absolutely free to revert with more queries if you have.

Warm Regards...
Experience: Graduated in law with Emphasis on Finance and have have been working in financial sector for over 12 Years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry you haven't answered the two questions I asked.

Is this lump sum taxable?

I am fully aware of how PHI monthly payments work and how and why they are taxed.

The insurance company are now trying to buy their way out of their liability to pay monthly payments by offering a one off lump sum in "full and final settlement of all liability under the claim". There is nothing in their offer that states the payment is an income.

Dear Friend,

Hello and welcome again. Thank you for four follow up question.

Yes.. lump sums are taxable and they would be taxed in the year you would receive it.

I am sure this would help.

Warm Regards...
Dear Eddie,

Is there anything more I can assist you with?

Warm Regards...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Do to the experts poor written English, I am not convinced that she is an expert in UK Tax Law.

This is an example of one sentence
"Alternatively feel absolutely free to revert with more queries if you have.

It should be
"Alternatively feel absolutely free to reply with more queries if you have them."

I think correctly written English is very important for a lawyer when writing contracts.

Dear Eddie,

Sorry for this incorrect English. I think, this was a smaller mistake. Please allow this human error which was certainly not intentional.

It would be important for me to know if my answer helped.

You may please leave a positive rating if this helps as that is the only way we receive credit for assisting you. Alternatively feel absolutely free to reply with more queries if you have them.

Warm Regards...