Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

Can you "add-back" the amortization of Pension Losses into

Can you "add-back" the amortization of Pension Losses into EBITDA?

MyVirtualCPA :

Thank you for your question, and thanks for using JustAnswer.com. The answer to your question is that you can NOT add back the amortization of pension losses into EBITDA

MyVirtualCPA :

EBITDA does not include any depreciation or amortization of any form, so you would leave this out of the equation.

Customer:

Please explain your comment above...EBITDA IS "Earnings before I, T & DA...just wanted to know about the pension loss amortization since it is somewhat "unique".

MyVirtualCPA :

Pension loss amortization is amortization and would not be included in EBITDA

MyVirtualCPA :

I realize it is unique, but it's still amortization

MyVirtualCPA :

Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

MyVirtualCPA :

Have I provided you with excellent service?

Customer:

No nothing else...it is just that I have never in 26 years doing M&A work seen "Pension Loss Amortization" and wondered if it could be recast into EBITDA since it had been expenses to get to pretax.

MyVirtualCPA :

Thanks. I'm glad I was able to assist today. Have I provided you with excellent service? If so, please rate my response using the feature along the bottom of your screen.

Thank you, Jim for your positive rating. Please come back and visit MyVirtualCPA for any of your tax, finance, or social security needs. It was a pleasure working with you today.