Megan C , Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

Can you "add-back" the amortization of Pension Losses into

Can you "add-back" the amortization of Pension Losses into EBITDA?
Category: Finance
Expert:  Megan C replied 3 years ago.

MyVirtualCPA :

Thank you for your question, and thanks for using JustAnswer.com. The answer to your question is that you can NOT add back the amortization of pension losses into EBITDA

MyVirtualCPA :

EBITDA does not include any depreciation or amortization of any form, so you would leave this out of the equation.

Customer:

Please explain your comment above...EBITDA IS "Earnings before I, T & DA...just wanted to know about the pension loss amortization since it is somewhat "unique".

MyVirtualCPA :

Pension loss amortization is amortization and would not be included in EBITDA

MyVirtualCPA :

I realize it is unique, but it's still amortization

MyVirtualCPA :

Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

MyVirtualCPA :

Have I provided you with excellent service?

Customer:

No nothing else...it is just that I have never in 26 years doing M&A work seen "Pension Loss Amortization" and wondered if it could be recast into EBITDA since it had been expenses to get to pretax.

MyVirtualCPA :

Thanks. I'm glad I was able to assist today. Have I provided you with excellent service? If so, please rate my response using the feature along the bottom of your screen.

Expert:  Megan C replied 3 years ago.
Thank you, Jim for your positive rating. Please come back and visit MyVirtualCPA for any of your tax, finance, or social security needs. It was a pleasure working with you today.