Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I HAVE ABOUT 65000.00 WORTH OF EE US SAVINGS BONDS THE WILL

I HAVE ABOUT 65000.00 WORTH OF EE US SAVINGS BONDS THE WILL MATURE IN 2014. THE IS ABOUT $45000.00 INTEREST. IS THERE ANYWAY I CAN AVOID THE INTEREST. I AM THINKING OF GIFTING THEM TO MY BROTHER`S GRANDDAUGHTER FOR THEIR CHILDREN`S EDUCATION. GOT ANY SU7GGESTIONS THANK YOU
Category: Finance
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

MyVirtualCPA :

Thank you for your question, and thanks for using JustAnswer.com

MyVirtualCPA :

How are you today?

MyVirtualCPA :

You could gift the bonds to your Brother's Granddaughter, but in the end she would be the one to pay the tax on the interest

MyVirtualCPA :

There's no way to avoid paying tax on the interest altogether - someone will have to pay it.

MyVirtualCPA :

If your goal is to avoid tax at your level, gifting the bonds would work

MyVirtualCPA :

However, the person you gift them to would have the tax burden.

MyVirtualCPA :

I have done some further research.

MyVirtualCPA :

If you gift the savings bonds to someone else, you will first have to pay taxes on the interest that has accrued.

MyVirtualCPA :

You cannot gift the savings bonds to shift it where the interest would be exempt due to qualified educational expenses

MyVirtualCPA :

I'm truly sorry for the confusion, and sorry if the answer is not what you had hoped.

MyVirtualCPA :

Do you have any further questions?

Customer:

I AM 89 YEARS OLD I WILL NOT PAY ANY MORE MONEY THAN THE $ 30 I AGREED TO. I APPRECIATE THE ANSWER BUT I

MyVirtualCPA :

I do not show that you subscribed, so the $30 you were charged is all that you will have to pay.

Customer:

WILL NOT ENGAGE YOU FOR ANY OTHER QUESTION. ALTHOUGH I WANTED TO ASK WHAT ARE THE RAMIFICATIONS

Customer:

IN GIFTING THE 66000.00?

MyVirtualCPA :

If you gift the $66,000 you would have to pay tax on the accrued interest first.

Customer:

I AM A LIVING TRUST, I WANT TO GIFT IT BEFORE I DIE JUST TAKE OUT OF MY ESTATE. I PLAN TTO PAY THE TAX MYSELF IN 2013. THANK I WAS AFRAID I WAS BEING SCAMMED.

MyVirtualCPA :

No, you are not being scammed

MyVirtualCPA :

IS there anything else I can assist you with today?

Customer:

I APOLOGIZE TO YOU , SINCERELY, JHE

MyVirtualCPA :

It was a pleasure working with you today. If you could, use the rating feature along the bottom of your screen to rate my response "excellent" - this will ensure that I receive credit for assisting you today

Experience: Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level