Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I am a Washington state resident working for a Wa state consulting

I am a Washington state resident working for a Wa state consulting company. I will be working in the state of CA for about 2-3 days a week for a 6 month consulting assignment. My home is in Wa and my spouse is in Wa. Will I have to pay non-resident taxes to the state of CA. If yes what is the general tax rate?

MyVirtualCPA :

Thank you for your question, and thanks for using JustAnswer.com. As you will be performing services inside the state of California, you will owe nonresident taxes to the state

MyVirtualCPA :

However, you only owe tax on your California sourced income...so, only the portion of your pay that is attributed to your work in California is subject to tax

MyVirtualCPA :

The tax rate in California ranges from 1.25% to 9.55%

MyVirtualCPA :

Make that between 1% and 10.3%

MyVirtualCPA :

http://www.tax-brackets.org/californiataxtable

MyVirtualCPA :

There's a tax table

Customer:

I have a choice of living in a hotel or moving my RV down there to live in when I fly in and out will that affect the taxes?

MyVirtualCPA :

No, that won't - you will still owe the same tax either way

MyVirtualCPA :

Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

Customer:

No thank you.

Vince,

Thank you for your positive rating. Please come back and visit MyVirtualCPA for any of your tax, finance, and social security needs. It was a pleasure working with you today.