Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I received a debt collection notice for a medical lab bill

I received a debt collection notice for a medical lab bill from Jan. I was surprised since I never received any bill from the lab directly or got any call from them. What is even more surprising is that there were other bills from this lab which were applied to my insurance directly. I have a great employer insurance which covers all my medical bills and somehow this bill was never applied to my insurance or was sent to me. Anyways now that I got the debt notice I am really disappointed and since it is the weekend and i cant speak to the lab or the agency i just paid the bill online to the agency (like in 3 days of the notice) and sent them an email. I am now worried about how this will affect my credit score and if there is anything i can do about it. please advice.
Category: Finance
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

MyVirtualCPA :

Thank you for your question, and thanks for using JustAnswer.com

MyVirtualCPA :

I'm sorry that you are worried tonight! I know that it must be frustrating.

MyVirtualCPA :

If you just now received this notice, there should be no impact on your credit report

Customer:

So the notice is dated July 3rd

MyVirtualCPA :

The collection agency typically gives you (or they must give you) 30 days to dispute the validity of the transaction

Customer:

yes it says please respond in 30 days

Customer:

as far as the credit report goes

MyVirtualCPA :

Yes, then if I were you I would respond and dispute the transaction

MyVirtualCPA :

and if it comes back that your insurance didn't cover this, and you are responsible, then you simply pay and there's no consequence

Customer:

i do plan to call up the lab and speak to the agency on Monday but now that i have already set up the payment, what are my options. Will it still show up as something on my credit report as something that went to a collection agency?

MyVirtualCPA :

No, it won't show up on your credit report at all

MyVirtualCPA :

Not unless you ignored the notice

MyVirtualCPA :

If you don't dispute or make payment arrangements in that 30 day time frame, then they report it.

Customer:

if i call up the agency on Monday do you think they should confirm the same?

MyVirtualCPA :

Yes, they should

Customer:

i am sorry for all these questions. This is the first time this has happened and i am just really embarrassed and disappointed about it

Customer:

and i have a very high credit score which i don't want to get affected

MyVirtualCPA :

Don't worry about it - it happens to everyone at one point or another

MyVirtualCPA :

I have personally had this happen over a $15 bill...just fell through the cracks. It's easy for medical bills

MyVirtualCPA :

I paid it, and it didn't go on my credit report

MyVirtualCPA :

don't be embarassed

Customer:

Thank you so much for your help. I will ask them to send me the original copies of the bill that was sent to me so that i can verify if it was indeed sent...and anyways i have set up the payment so they should have it received

Customer:

thank you once again. now i might be able to finally enjoy my weekend :)

MyVirtualCPA :

Yes, I'm glad I could help. If you would, once you're satisfied with this transaction please rate as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Experience: Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your positive rating. It was a pleasure working with you today. If you would, please come back and see me whenever you have a tax, finance, or social security question. Thanks again.