Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level

My son failed to pay several bills and is now having trouble

My son failed to pay several bills and is now having trouble with his credit. What is the best way for him to find all the unpaid bills he owes and get the bad credit ratings removed?
Category: Finance
Expert:  Rachel-Mod replied 9 months ago.

I'm Rachel, and I’m a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.

Thank you,

Rachel

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I would like to continue waiting for an answer.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

Best,

Rachel

Expert:  Megan C replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your question, and thanks for using JustAnswer.com.

Your son will need to order a copy of all three of his credit reports. He can obtain them for free from www.annualcreditreport.com. On this, it will detail all the bills that he owes that have been reported to the credit agencies.

If he is not in dispute of the bill paid, contact the company that he owes money and ask them if they would remove the record from his credit report in return for payment in full. Get this in writing. Then, pay the bill off. Once all this happens, if they do not remove the bill from his credit report your written documentation can be sent to the credit agency and they will remove it for you.

If you settle the debt for less than you owe, keep in mind that typically that will be shown on the credit report and will not be favorable. Therefore, for best results pay the bills that you owe in full.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. Thanks again for using JustAnswer.com. Please take a moment to rate my response "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. Thanks again.
Experience: Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for the excellent advice!

Lenny

Expert:  Megan C replied 9 months ago.
Thank you Lenny,

If you could be so kind to rate my answer as excellent so I may get credit for assisting you today. It was a pleasure working with you and if you ever need another question answered you can ask for me and I will make sure your question gets answered right away.

I hope you have a great night and thanks again.