Megan C , Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

My husband passed away. He had an IRA with an investment firm.

My husband passed away. He had an IRA with an investment firm. I am his beneficiary. I am 58 years old, so have not been able to access my own retirement accounts yet. I want to receive the proceeds from my husband's IRA to live on for the next year. I'm told by the investment firm that I cannot obtain the proceeds even though my husband was 63 when he passed away. Is this accurate? I do not want to turn this into an IRA and then pay a penalty to withdraw it. Thanks for your help.
Category: Finance
Expert:  Megan C replied 3 years ago.

MyVirtualCPA :

Thank you for your question, and thanks for using JustAnswer.com

MyVirtualCPA :

If you are the beneficiary of the IRA account, you can draw the entire balance out within 5 years. You will have to pay tax on the withdrawal, but you will not have an early withdrawal penalty

MyVirtualCPA :

I am unsure why the investment firm is telling you that you cannot take the money