Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Providing Financial, Tax & Business advice since 1986
1929974

In what example would an individual need to retroactively recapture

In what example would an individual need to retroactively recapture depreciation? I am not familiar with the concept, and why many people are not familiar with the term "recap." Thank you.
Category: Finance
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

NPVAdvisor :

Certain assets are depreciated for tax purposes. Depreciation is a way to get a tax deduction by spreading the cost of an asset over a period of time. As a result, depreciation reduces the asset's cost basis (adjusted cost basis).

NPVAdvisor :

When you eventually sell that asset, the gain on the sale will be higher (than simply sales price minus purchase price) since it's basis is now lower, because of the depreciation. How the gain is treated actually depends on the type of assset.

NPVAdvisor :

For people selling residential rental properties. Part of the gain will be taxed as a capital gain will qualify for the lower rate on long-term gains. However ... the part of the gain that is related to depreciation will be taxed at a maximum 25% rate. The technical term for gain related to depreciation on residential property is called unrecaptured section 1250 gain.

NPVAdvisor :

ON the plus side... when a rental property is sold, any passive activity losses that were not deductible in previous years become deductible in full. This can help offset the tax bite of this depreciation recapture tax.

NPVAdvisor :

As a "heads-up," some people try not to claim depreciation as a strategy to avoid the recapture tax. But this doesn't work, because the tax law requires depreciation recapture to be calculated on depreciation that was "allowed or allowable" (Internal Revenue Code section 1250(b)(3)).

NPVAdvisor :

So, good tax planning says you really should claim depreciation on your property to get a current tax deduction, since you're going to have to pay tax on the gain due to the depreciation, regardless of whether you actually took the depreciation deduction or not.

NPVAdvisor :

Hope this helps

NPVAdvisor :

Lane

Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience: Providing Financial, Tax & Business advice since 1986
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jake,

... just checking back in, as I never saw you come into the chat.

Let me know if you have further questions.

If this HAS helped, I would appreciate a feedback rating of 3 (OK) or better … That's the only way they will pay us here.

But again, if you need more on this, PLEASE COME BACK here, so you won't be charged for another question.

Thanks,
Lane

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jake,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,
Lane
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the feedback jake.

If you'd like to work with me again ...

Just say "For Lane only," at the beginning of your next question.

Thanks again,
Lane

Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS