USTaxAdvising
USTaxAdvising, Accountant
Experience:  Professional with finance related questions.
58296935

I have a balance sheet for Entergy Corporation, and need to

I have a balance sheet for Entergy Corporation, and need to know where the stock investments are reported
Category: Finance
Expert:  USTaxAdvising replied 1 year ago.

USTaxAdvising :

Hello

USTaxAdvising :

Are you looking at Entergy Corporation's balance sheet and want to know where the stock investments are listed or are you preparing a balance sheet?

Customer: Hello
Customer: No I have a copy of the balance but not sure where to find the stock investments
USTaxAdvising :

Hang on, this is a public company, let me see if I can find the most recent financial statements or annual report

USTaxAdvising :

It does not look to me like they are holding any other companies stock as of 12/31/2012.

USTaxAdvising :

See the annual report here, page 52 - http://investor.shareholder.com/entergy/InvestorKit.cfm

USTaxAdvising :

Temporary Cash investments may have some holdings of other company's stock but it won't be shown on the balance sheet.

USTaxAdvising :

Note that they do list investments in affiliates at equity of 46,738. I'll see if there is anything further in the notes.

USTaxAdvising :

Also see page 58 and 59 of the report - "Investments" and "equity method of investments"

USTaxAdvising :

You won't actually know what the companies are called though because Entergy does not hold a greater than 50% ownership (i.e. control)

USTaxAdvising :

Does this provide the clarity you were looking for?

Customer: Ok it is Entergy Corporation ÊTR New York Consolidated
USTaxAdvising :

That's the one I am looking at correct

Customer: I am not sure if this answers my question - similar report done on McDonalds
Customer: Same question - they answered - operating Income- interest expense and interest income
USTaxAdvising :

Are you referring to the equity section of the balance sheet? meaning where is the stock of the company itself reported?

USTaxAdvising :

There is generally never any interest income or expense associated with holding stock of another company.

Customer: Are you there
USTaxAdvising :

Yes I am here. I need a little more clarity on what your question is exactly.

Customer: I am looking for stock investments. Just don't know where to find them within the financial statements
USTaxAdvising :

OK you will find that under "Other Property and Investments" on page 52 of the 2012 annual report

Customer: This assignment says - for your chosen corporation! Where
USTaxAdvising :

they don't really list the investments though

Customer: Sorry - where are the stock investments reported on the financial statements
USTaxAdvising :

Customer: So is it safe to say this can be found on the income statement under "other property and investments"
USTaxAdvising :

Also see detail to these numbers on page 58

USTaxAdvising :

no this is on the balance sheet.

USTaxAdvising :

on the income statement it would be called "Other Income"

USTaxAdvising :

There are three lines for it on this income statement "Allowance for equity funds used during construction"

USTaxAdvising :

"Interest and Investment Income"

USTaxAdvising :

Does that help?

Customer: Ok so on the balance sheet it would be under other property and investment
USTaxAdvising :

Yes exactly

Customer: Ok I see page 58 explanation for investments,thank you
USTaxAdvising :

no problem. Does it provide the clarity you needed?

Customer: I hope so
USTaxAdvising :

Well if it doesn't you can always return to this thread and post any follow up questions. If I am not online I will respond within 24 hours.

USTaxAdvising :

If you can please rate my answer or accept it before you leave I would really appreciate it.

Customer: Ok
USTaxAdvising, Accountant
Experience: Professional with finance related questions.