Megan C , Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

We currently owe 100,000 dollars on our first mortgage. We

We currently owe 100,000 dollars on our first mortgage. We have an equity-line in second position of 340,000 dollars. We bought bare land with the line and can be sold for 220,000 in todays market. If we sell the land, should we pay off the first and refinance the difference? Or, should we keep the first and refinance the first and second together?

Thank you, XXXXX Petaluma, California
Category: Finance
Expert:  Megan C replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question, and thanks for using JustAnswer.com. In the end, if you apply all $220,000 to your debt, the same amount will be refinanced. It would probably be easier to pay off the first mortgage, and then refinance the second mortgage. However, which direction you go really doesn't matter because in the end, when you refinance it will be for the same amount.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. Thanks again for using JustAnswer.com and have a happy, and safe, 2013.

** Please take a moment to rate my response as "Excellent" so that I may be compensated for assisting you today. Please let me know if my assistance was anything less than "OK Service", as I am compensated based on whether or not I have assisted you with your issue. If you need further clarifications, PLEASE WAIT TO RATE MY ANSWER UNTIL AFTER RECEIVING FOLLOW UP FROM ME. If I receive anything less than OK Service, I do not get paid. Thank you for your kind understanding in this matter. If you have difficulties rating, then simply respond stating that you are having difficulties rating and thank me for my excellent, good, or ok service and we can get the rating applied by the site*

Expert:  Megan C replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the positive rating. Please remember me the next time you have a question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question, and it will be routed directly to me. Thank you again for using JustAnswer