R. Klein, EA
R. Klein, EA, Accountant
Experience:  TurboTax Expert. QuickBooks Certified Pro Advisor
63817126

On the subject of loan origination fees from the borrowers

On the subject of loan origination fees from the borrower's perspective. How do you account for fees charged on a letter of credit that has not been used. Do you capitalize and expense on a straight line basis? if you do, what is the classification on the balance sheet? I read that loan origination fees are reported as part of the loan they originate (contra-account), but what happens when there is no loan, as it is the case with a standby letter of credit?
Thanks

fastfile :

Fees on a standby letter of credit is a current period expense.

fastfile :

Origination fees when a loan is approved do go to increase the basis of the item purchased with the loan proceeds.

fastfile :

The origination fees are usually not booked separately or depreciated separately from the asset

fastfile :

Once we have resolved your issue, please take a moment and click the rating icons. The rating allows us to ensure we are providing you the best professional service, and it will also close out the question. If you feel the expert provided superior service, tips are appreciated and welcome.

If you have further concerns after I have answered your question, please do not rate the service until we have had a chance to fully resolve the question. You are welcome to post follow-up questions or ask for clarification as part of the original question.

Customer:

Great, can you direct me to the authoritative guidance? an auditor referred me to fas91, but everywhere I read that they need to be capitalized.

Customer:

thanks

fastfile :

No, I cannot. I do not have source books.

fastfile :

If there is a GAAP precedent, then I am wrong. It would seem illogical to no expense a standby letter of credit's expense, since the expense is effective whether the loan proceeds are used or not.

fastfile :

It would be difficult to amortize the fees on a SLC since it is a continuing expense, not a fixed cost at a specific point in time.