Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

Last year my brother was incarcerated until the 24th of december.

Last year my brother was incarcerated until the 24th of december. The year before he filed taxes with his business. Since he was in jail, does he need to file taxes? Also how much do you have to make before you have to file taxes?
Thank you for your question and thanks for using JustAnswer.com. While incarcerated, you still need to file a tax return if you have substantial income. If your brother was self employed and made over $400 then you would have to file a tax return. This is true even if you are incarcerated.

If you are an employee, you have to make over $9,750 before you are required to file a tax return.

Please let me know if you need further assistance with this, or if this did not sufficiently answer your question. Thanks again for using JustAnswer.com and have a happy, and safe, 2013.

** Please take a moment to rate my response as "Excellent" so that I may be compensated for assisting you today. Please let me know if my assistance was anything less than "OK Service", as I am compensated based on whether or not I have assisted you with your issue. If you need further clarifications, PLEASE WAIT TO RATE MY ANSWER UNTIL AFTER RECEIVING FOLLOW UP FROM ME. If I receive anything less than OK Service, I do not get paid. Thank you for your kind understanding in this matter. If you have difficulties rating, then simply respond stating that you are having difficulties rating and thank me for my excellent, good, or ok service and we can get the rating applied by the site*
You should be aware that your question, as with most tax questions, can never really be answered completely...addressing all the permutations; that is because of the many assumptions that have to be made I have done my best to determine what I think you are asking and answering it in the most direct and understandable manner possible. If, however, after reviewing the questions, you have any uncertainties or further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you for the positive rating. Please remember me the next time you have a question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question, and it will be routed directly to me. Thank you again for using JustAnswer