Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

My mother is on medicaid, can she give me a monetary gift without

My mother is on medicaid, can she give me a monetary gift without affecting her medicaid status?
Thank you for your question and thanks for using JustAnswer.com. The medicaid gift giving rules are really in place for those who are trying to qualify for medicaid in the first place. So long as her assets are currently below the specified guidelines, she can do with her assets what she sees fit.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. Thanks for using JustAnswer.com and have a happy, and safe, 2013.

* Please take a moment to rate my response as "Excellent" so that I may be compensated for assisting you today. Please let me know if my assistance was anything less than "OK Service", as I am compensated based on whether or not I have assisted you with your issue. If you need further clarifications, PLEASE WAIT TO RATE MY ANSWER UNTIL AFTER RECEIVING FOLLOW UP FROM ME. If I receive anything less than OK Service, I do not get paid. Thank you for your kind understanding in this matter. If you have difficulties rating, then simply respond stating that you are having difficulties rating and thank me for my excellent, good, or ok service and we can get the rating applied by the site*
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She is on a program that provides nursing services, I was told that if she eliminated any property it would take her out of the program. Does that apply to giving away a house of small value?

Thank you for your follow up. Unfortunately, your mother cannot gift away assets in this case because these assets are earmarked for Medicaid. She cannot give away a house when she's in this program, unfortunately.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is there anything we can do with the property?

Her personal residence is excluded she can keep it, but if she wants to get rid of it she will need to 'spend down' the asset- either by paying her medical bills, buying personal property, buying a new car, or prepaying funeral costs.

Thank you for the positive rating. Please remember me the next time you have a question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question, and it will be routed directly to me. Thank you again for using JustAnswer