Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

Hello, I received dividends from Old Mutual PLC Stock which

Hello, I received dividends from Old Mutual PLC Stock which is traded on Johannesburg Stock Exchange. I received R3718.82 which will probably convert to about $450.00 once I get it here. I have since sold the shares in a full liquidation of all my South African assets and since they could not transfer the sales to US only to UK.

My question is whether these are qualified shares?

My husband and I have annual income of about $46 000 so my understanding is that these may still be taxed at 0% anyway.

Thanks
Janet

NPVAdvisor :

Hi I can help with thia

NPVAdvisor :

sory (this)

NPVAdvisor :

Are you asking this question regarding US Taxes?

NPVAdvisor :

It looks to me as if you are in the chat session here, but I haven't gotten anything back from you

NPVAdvisor :

So, I'll give the qualified (no pun intended) answer

NPVAdvisor :

Yes, if this is for US taxes, theses would be considered capital assets, and would qualify for capital gains treatment ... and ...

NPVAdvisor :

at your income level, you would be in the 15% bracket if file jointly, thereby making your capital gains tax rate for 2012, zero

NPVAdvisor :

I will give you a few minutes, but after that I'll move to the Question and Answer mode .... that may make things easier for you

NPVAdvisor :

We'll still be able to continue a dialogue, just not in real time

Hi Janet

I hope i answered the question you were asking.

If you were asking about the dividends specifically, the yes these would be qualified dividends.

If not, please let me know.

Lane

But, If I've given you enough information,Positive feedback (or an “accept”) is highly appreciated. That’s how we’re paid. BUT, if you need CLARIFICATION, COME BACK here.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX sorry about the chat mode. I was unaware of that as an option. You answered my question.

Janet

Great.

That's OK, it happens a lot.

To ask for me again, just say “For NPVAdvisor” at the beginning of you question OR enter it here:

http://www.justanswer.com/finance/expert-npvadvisor/

…pleasure working with you !

Lane