Rakhi Vasavada
Rakhi Vasavada, Financial and Legal Consultant
Experience:  Graduated in law with Emphasis on Finance and have have been working in financial sector for over 12 Years

Is it possible to take out a federal student loan out for someone

Is it possible to take out a federal student loan out for someone else or does it have to be for yourself?
Category: Finance
Expert:  Rakhi Vasavada replied 1 year ago.

rakhivasavada :

Dear Friend, hello and welcome...

rakhivasavada :

The student loan has to be for self. The student has to be on the loan. At the most you can co-sign a loan to assist

rakhivasavada :

I hope this helps...

Rate this answer POSITIVELY IF you are done with this and if this helps and satisfies you as this is the only way we get compensated for assisting you. You may use "CONTINUE CONVERSATION" to revert with additional queries if you have or if I have missed out on any aspect of your question.

rakhivasavada :

Warm Regards...

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

would I be able to get a private Sallie Mae loan in my name for someone else?

Dear friend,

As my fellow expert just pointed out, you can find an or act as 'endorser'.

He is the one who pays if the student defaults.

Kindly refer the following.

http://studentaid.ed.gov/types/loans/plus

hope this helps...

Warm Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Interesting because my ex-boyfriend back in 2001 opened a Sallie Mae student loan for me. I am listed as a student but HE was the one responsible to pay. I talked to Sallie Mae because loan went into default and he passed on my contact info. I asked Sallie Mae representative if I was a signer on the loan anywhere obligating me to pay it back and she said "no, just listed as student." He was 100% responsible to loan since I hadn't signed?

Dear Friend,

Yes, if you have NOT co signed or if you are NOT the endorser then you are NOT responsible to pay. You do not have any liability at all. Since you have defaulted, it is your boyfriend who will have to pay up.

I hope this helps...

Warm Regards
Experience: Graduated in law with Emphasis on Finance and have have been working in financial sector for over 12 Years