Phillips Esq. , Financial Analyst and Licensed Attorney
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

So a few years ago I trusted someone with my taxes who repeatively

Customer Question

So a few years ago I trusted someone with my taxes who repeatively claimed false schedule c's on my account. I was young and stupid and not paying attention. Ill take full responsibility for the outcome, however, do you think the IRS will work with me considering I'm coming to them first to resolve this issue? Will a tax professional assist with decreasing my liability at all?
Category: Finance
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 3 years ago.

Question: So a few years ago I trusted someone with my taxes who repeatively claimed false schedule c's on my account. I was young and stupid and not paying attention. Ill take full responsibility for the outcome, however, do you think the IRS will work with me considering I'm coming to them first to resolve this issue?

Response 1: Unfortunately, may be not. IRS may not be lenient just because you decided to come forward. It is strongly suggested that you consult in person with a local Tax Attorney before going to IRS. Your penalties for filing false tax returns are quite serious and may involve jail term.

Will a tax professional assist with decreasing my liability at all?

Response 2: It is doubtful, but it does not hurt to try. A tax professional that you would be dealing with should be a Tax Attorney because of the seriousness of the matter. You can use the following sites to find local Tax Attorneys:

http://www.lawyers.com

http://www.justia.com