Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I have full legal custody of my 2 grandchildren. I am at my

I have full legal custody of my 2 grandchildren. I am at my full retirement age (66) and I am collecting my Social Security and still working full time. I didn't know unil I made my application that my two grandchildren age 14 and 15 would qualify for benefits. So we have been receiving benefits since October. My Daughter (the children's biological Mother) has been living with us for the last few months. She has been diagnosed as Bi Polar and is requiring some psychiatric help. She was on medicaid for several years as a single Mother before the children had to move in with me.They have been with me for 10 years. When she recently moved in with us, she applied for Medicaid. She told them that I had full adoptive custody, and she was living in the house with us. She has no income, but when filling out the form, she listed me as head of household, the chilren as my adopted grandchildren, and the children as her biological children. She was denied based on her salary being too high. She doesn't have a salary.
Could they have been refering to my salary? I also have the children on my Blue Cross policy at work. While they turned her down for Medicaid, the aproved the grandchildren. What should she do from here?
Category: Finance
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, and thanks for using JustAnswer.com. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Unfortunately, when you apply for Medicaid the entire household income is considered during the application process. Therefore, your income was counted.

You need to have the children removed from Medicaid if they are on your health insurance policy. This can be accomplished with a simple phone call.

Your daughter would have better luck getting on Medicaid if she lived alone, unfortunately. So you are between a rock and a hard place. I'm sorry that I cannot be of any additional assistance, but there's nothing else at this point that can be done other than for her to be out on her own.

Please let me know if you need any additional assistance. You can CLICK HERE to read about Medicaid eligibility. This is from New Hampshire, but all states follow basically the same guidelines, it's just that income level cutoffs are different.

Thanks again for using JustAnswer.com and have a safe and happy 2013.

** Please take a moment to rate my response as "Excellent" so that I may be compensated for assisting you today. Please let me know if my assistance was anything less than "OK Service", as I am compensated based on whether or not I have assisted you with your issue. If you need further clarifications, PLEASE WAIT TO RATE MY ANSWER UNTIL AFTER RECEIVING FOLLOW UP FROM ME. If I receive anything less than OK Service, I do not get paid. Thank you for your kind understanding in this matter. If you have difficulties rating, then simply respond stating that you are having difficulties rating and thank me for my excellent, good, or ok service and we can get the rating applied by the site*
Experience: Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the positive rating. Please remember me the next time you have a question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question, and it will be routed directly to me. Thank you again for using JustAnswer