Megan C , Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

is assisted living for mind care expenses considered a tax

is assisted living for mind care expenses considered a tax deduction for health care?
Category: Finance
Expert:  Megan C replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question and thanks for using JustAnswer.com. Hi and thanks for coming here to ask your question. In order to deduct these assisted living costs the following must be met:Person must be chronically illThis deduction is for those who need assistance with two or more "Activities of Daily Living" or who need constant supervision because of a "severe cognitive impairment" such as Alzheimer's disease or related dementias.The care must be according to doctors orders. Further you must itemize and your medical expenses must exceed 7.5% of AGIYou can read more herehttp://www.ambercourtal.com/assisted-living-tax-deduction.htmlPlease let me know if you need additional assistance. Thanks again for asking your question a d feel free to follow up with any additional questions. ** Please take a moment to rate my response as "Excellent" so that I may be compensated for assisting you today. Please let me know if my assistance was anything less than "OK Service", as I am compensated based on whether or not I have assisted you with your issue. If you need further clarifications, PLEASE WAIT TO RATE MY ANSWER UNTIL AFTER RECEIVING FOLLOW UP FROM ME. If I receive anything less than OK Service, I do not get paid. Thank you for your kind understanding in this matter. If you have difficulties rating, then simply respond stating that you are having difficulties rating and thank me for my excellent, good, or ok service and we can get the rating applied by the site*You should be aware that your question, as with most tax questions, can never really be answered completely...addressing all the permutations; that is because of the many assumptions that have to be made I have done my best to determine what I think you are asking and answering it in the most direct and understandable manner possible. If, however, after reviewing the questions, you have any uncertainties or further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.
Expert:  Megan C replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the positive rating. Please remember me the next time you have a question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question, and it will be routed directly to me. Thank you again for using JustAnswer