Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

In Quickbooks 2012, if for a busisness, if you pay for expenses

In Quickbooks 2012, if for a busisness, if you pay for expenses with your credit and debit cards, do you need to enter the invoices into QB still? Example. I buy a part with my debit card, then when I receive paid in full invoice, I enter it into QB under the vendor.
Category: Finance
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, and thanks for using JustAnswer.com

Thank you for your question, and thanks for using JustAnswer.com. Yes - when you pay for parts with a debit or credit card you still need to enter in the expense into quickbooks. You don't necessarily have to enter an invoice - you can also use a Journal Entry to record the expense directly.

Entering the paid invoice under the vendor may help you keep track of where you are spending your money.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. Thanks for using JustAnswer.com and have a happy and safe 2012.

** Please take a moment to rate my response as "Excellent" so that I may be compensated for assisting you today. Please let me know if my assistance was anything less than "OK Service", as I am compensated based on whether or not I have assisted you with your issue. If you need further clarifications, PLEASE WAIT TO RATE MY ANSWER UNTIL AFTER RECEIVING FOLLOW UP FROM ME. If I receive anything less than OK Service, I do not get paid. Thank you for your kind understanding in this matter. If you have difficulties rating, then simply respond stating that you are having difficulties rating and thank me for my excellent, good, or ok service and we can get the rating applied by the site*

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

But those purchase transactions are tracked in the online banking area of QB, so when you associated each transaction in this area with an account, isn't that taking are of adding the expense, and if you additionally add an invoice and payment under the enter bills/vendor area, you are double adding the payment into QB?

Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Yes, you would be - if you have your books set up to track expenses in online banking then if you were to enter the invoice again you would be doubling up your expenses.

Thanks

Experience: Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the positive rating. Please remember me the next time you have a question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question, and it will be routed directly to me. Thank you again for using JustAnswer