Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I converted a portion of my standard IRA over to a Roth IRA

I converted a portion of my standard IRA over to a Roth IRA in 2012. I am pretty sure that I will be taxed based on the regular income tax rate, such as what I will pay for salary (let's say it is 28%). Did I state that correctly?

I have more than $3,000 in losses in Capital Gains. Can I offset any of the Capital Gain losses (beyond the $3,000) against the monies I converted over to the Roth IRA?
Thank you for your question, and thanks for using JustAnswer.com.

When you convert your traditional IRA to a Roth IRA, you incur ordinary income. Therefore, you can only deduct up to $3,000 of capital losses against this amount. So no, you cannot offset your capital losses with your Roth conversion.

Please let me know if I can be of any additional assistance.

CLICK HERE for more on this topic.

Thanks again for using JustAnswer.com and have a great day

** Please take a moment to rate my response as "Excellent" so that I may be compensated for assisting you today. Please let me know if my assistance was anything less than "OK Service", as I am compensated based on whether or not I have assisted you with your issue. If you need further clarifications, PLEASE WAIT TO RATE MY ANSWER UNTIL AFTER RECEIVING FOLLOW UP FROM ME. If I receive anything less than OK Service, I do not get paid. Thank you for your kind understanding in this matter. If you have difficulties rating, then simply respond stating that you are having difficulties rating and thank me for my excellent, good, or ok service and we can get the rating applied by the site*
You should be aware that your question, as with most tax questions, can never really be answered completely...addressing all the permutations; that is because of the many assumptions that have to be made I have done my best to determine what I think you are asking and answering it in the most direct and understandable manner possible. If, however, after reviewing the questions, you have any uncertainties or further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.
Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to help you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you in this matter. Also if you ever need anything else in the future please Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question Thanks again for being a JustAnswer customer