Rakhi Vasavada
Rakhi Vasavada, Financial and Legal Consultant
Experience:  Graduated in law with Emphasis on Finance and have have been working in financial sector for over 12 Years
43581946

The only money coming into my company (S-Corp) for this year

The only money coming into my company (S-Corp) for this year is loan proceeds, of which I use some for personal use. I currently have no salary since all the money is from a loan. Is it correct to have no salary in this situation and, if not, how would I declare one?
Category: Finance
Expert:  Rakhi Vasavada replied 1 year ago.

rakhivasavada :

Dear Friend, Hello and welcome...

rakhivasavada :

Kindly be online as I prepare your reply...

rakhivasavada :

In your situation, In a small S-corporation, the officer could also be the shareholder. So this same person would have two distinct roles: that of a shareholder and that of an employee. You have a similar situation.

rakhivasavada :

In your case, if you use the money for personal purpose, and do not pay back, it can be draws initially, and later be settled as "salaries" to yourself. This the most proper thing to do.

rakhivasavada :

THis way, you will have your salary properly drawn, and also have Net Operating Loss which will flow on your tax returns and you will be able to claim it.

rakhivasavada :

It would be always desirous to pay your self a "reasonable" salary, or else, the IRS might treat that as your income. So, as explained earlier, the personally used funds should b e treated as salary in the books of the S Corp and that should translate as Net Operating losses (in event of no income) for your s corp.

rakhivasavada :

I hope this helps...

Rate this answer POSITIVELY IF you are done with this and if this helps and satisfies you as this is the only way we get compensated for assisting you. You may use "CONTINUE CONVERSATION" to revert with additional queries if you have or if I have missed out on any aspect of your question.

Warm Regards,

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I think I understand: So the amounts under "Stockholder Loans" at this point in my books which is depicting the money used for personal use, should by a journal entry be declared as salaries? Then payroll taxes will have to be paid on the salary amount, is that right?

Dear Friend,

Yes, that is correct. You got it right. This way, you will also pay yourself a reasonable salary, in eyes of IRS and also have NOL, i.e. Net Operating Loss for your S Corp which shall be claimed when taxes are done.

I hope this helps...

Warm Regards
Experience: Graduated in law with Emphasis on Finance and have have been working in financial sector for over 12 Years