Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I own an S-Corp and receive loan proceeds each month. When

I own an S-Corp and receive loan proceeds each month. When I use these funds for personal bills and such by issuing checks to myself, are the amounts going to me considered taxable income, such as salary?
Thank you for your question, and thanks for using JustAnswer.com. When you have an S-Corp, you pay income tax on your personal tax return on the entire profit of the business. Therefore, when you pay for personal items you have already been taxed on that income.

In the case of loans, if you are going to pay those loans back, that is never income - to you or the S Corp. It's only income if you don't pay the loan back.

So, if you are using business loan proceeds for personal expenses, that is not taxable income to you. However, your business will be taxed if at some point in the future you default on the loan and the lender forgives the debt.

With an S-corp, you need to be paying yourself a reasonable salary. If you don't, the IRS can reclassify some or all of your owner draws as salary. Make sure that if you have not paid yourself a salary this year, to do so ASAP by reclassifying some of your draws as salary and paying the applicable payroll taxes.

Please let me know if you need additional assistance. Thanks for using JustAnswer.com and have a happy, and safe, New Year

** Please take a moment to rate my response as "Excellent" so that I may be compensated for assisting you today. Please let me know if my assistance was anything less than "OK Service", as I am compensated based on whether or not I have assisted you with your issue. If you need further clarifications, PLEASE WAIT TO RATE MY ANSWER UNTIL AFTER RECEIVING FOLLOW UP FROM ME. If I receive anything less than OK Service, I do not get paid. Thank you for your kind understanding in this matter. If you have difficulties rating, then simply respond stating that you are having difficulties rating and thank me for my excellent, good, or ok service and we can get the rating applied by the site*
You should be aware that your question, as with most tax questions, can never really be answered completely...addressing all the permutations; that is because of the many assumptions that have to be made I have done my best to determine what I think you are asking and answering it in the most direct and understandable manner possible. If, however, after reviewing the questions, you have any uncertainties or further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you for the positive rating. Please remember me the next time you have a question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question, and it will be routed directly to me. Thank you again for using JustAnswer