Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level

Throughout fiscal year 2012 my boss took about $38k in draws.

Throughout fiscal year 2012 my boss took about $38k in draws. Now he wants me to make an adjustment in the books moving the $38k to payroll and paying the appropriate taxes. Is it OK to pay all the taxes in the 4th qtr of 2012 on money that he actually received throughout the year?
Thank you for your question, and thanks for coming to

You should not have a problem paying all the taxes in the 4th quarter for money received throughout the year. The main thing is that he's paying payroll taxes during the year he earned the money. This is actually quite common to reclassify draws as salary at the end of the year, especially with S Corporations.

I would go ahead and prepare the transaction as requested. Please let us know if you need anything additional. Thanks again for using and have a happy, and safe, New Year.

** Please take a moment to rate my response as "Excellent" so that I may be compensated for assisting you today. Please let me know if my assistance was anything less than "OK Service", as I am compensated based on whether or not I have assisted you with your issue. If you need further clarifications, PLEASE WAIT TO RATE MY ANSWER UNTIL AFTER RECEIVING FOLLOW UP FROM ME. If I receive anything less than OK Service, I do not get paid. Thank you for your kind understanding in this matter. If you have difficulties rating, then simply respond stating that you are having difficulties rating and thank me for my excellent, good, or ok service and we can get the rating applied by the site*
You should be aware that your question, as with most tax questions, can never really be answered completely...addressing all the permutations; that is because of the many assumptions that have to be made I have done my best to determine what I think you are asking and answering it in the most direct and understandable manner possible. If, however, after reviewing the questions, you have any uncertainties or further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to help you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you in this matter. Also if you ever need anything else in the future please Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question Thanks again for being a JustAnswer customer