DanielleCPA
DanielleCPA , Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  CPA experienced in tax and financial planning
50747609

Is it possible for me to withdraw money from my Thrift Savings

Is it possible for me to withdraw money from my Thrift Savings Plan at the IRS & invest it in gold? Would it be a wise thing to do?
Category: Finance
Expert:  DanielleCPA replied 3 years ago.

DanielleCPA :

Welcome and thanks for your question!

DanielleCPA :

There could be significant tax consequences of this transaction. How old are you?

DanielleCPA :

If you are currently working, you can only take an in-service withdraw if you demonstrate financial need or are at least age 59 1/2.

DanielleCPA :

Withdrawing to invest in gold would not qualify as financial need, so if you are still actively employed with the government, you would not be able to take a withdraw.

DanielleCPA :

If you are not still employed, then you could withdraw your money, but I wouldn't advise it.

DanielleCPA :

Any funds you withdraw, with the exception of Roth contributions, qualified Roth earnings or tax-exempt contributions, will be subject to tax at ordinary income tax rates. Depending on the amount you withdraw, this could be a very significant amount of tax, especially if you are under age 59 1/2. If you are under 59 1/2, you will have to pay an extra 10% penalty tax for early withdraw of retirement funds.