How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask PDtax Your Own Question

Category: Finance
Satisfied Customers: 1977
Experience:  Tax professional and business consultant for 32 years.
Type Your Finance Question Here...
PDtax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I owe the IRS $17,000 for my 2011 taxes. I cant afford to

Resolved Question:

I owe the IRS $17,000 for my 2011 taxes. I can't afford to pay the amount. I started a company this past year and I need to make payment arrangements.

Before I contact the IRS what is the longest payment plan the IRS will agree to for $17,000?

Right now I have no income coming in from my new business so I would be paying from my savings.

Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Finance
Expert:  PDtax replied 2 years ago.

PDtax :

hi from just answer.

Expert:  PDtax replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't see a response.
Expert:  PDtax replied 2 years ago.

thanks for your patience.


IRS gives individual taxpayers time to make payment on their individual taxes, which is what most people think of when they ask about installment agreements. Your question is about business taxes, and you wanting time to pay them on the business' behalf. That's different.


I don't know if IRS is involved yet, or if they have asked you personally for the funds, or the type of business form (are you personally liable or not for all of it).


Once you get back to me with some more facts, I can give a specific answer, and maybe a recommendation or 2.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no - the taxes due are due from my individual tax return, not the business taxes.

I have not talked to the IRS yet. nor are any business taxes due?
Expert:  PDtax replied 2 years ago.
Okay. I see the reason for the mixup. The debt is yours personally, for personal income taxes.

Since IRS is not yet involved, you could make a request for an installment agreement with form 9465. It is often filed with the return showing the balance due. A link to the form is here:

From (link:,,id=99090,00.html):

Setting Up an Installment Agreement

This agreement allow you to pay your full debt in smaller, more manageable amounts. Installment agreements generally require equal monthly payments. The amount of your installment payments and the number you make will be based on the amount you owe and your ability to pay that amount within the time we can legally collect payment from you.

You should be aware, however, that an installment agreement is more costly than paying all the taxes you owe now. As with most revolving credit arrangements, we charge interest and penalties on the unpaid portion of the debt.

Another cost associated with an installment agreement is a user fee. This is a one-time fee (currently $52 for direct debit agreements and $105 for non-direct debit agreements) we charge to set up the agreement. For eligible low-income individuals, the fee for entering new agreements will remain $43. If you don't meet the terms of the agreement throughout the life of the agreement, we charge an additional fee of $45, regardless of income level, to reinstate it.

If you want to pay off your tax debt through an installment agreement, call the number shown on your bill. If you owe:
$50,000 or less in tax, we'll tell you what you need to do to set up the agreement
More than $50,000, we may still be able to set up an installment agreement for you, but we may also ask for financial information to help us determine your ability to pay

Even if you set up an installment agreement, we may still file a Notice of Federal Tax Lien to secure the government's interest until you make your final payment.

Expert again...

The amount you owe can be arranged informally, without the financial disclosure referred to for larger debts.

The term available is six years or less. The debt is interest bearing, and penalties will be added if they have not.

You can apply online for an agreement at the following link:,,id=149373,00.html

Thanks for asking at Just Answer. If you need anything more, please ask.
Category: Finance
Satisfied Customers: 1977
Experience: Tax professional and business consultant for 32 years.
PDtax and other Finance Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  PDtax replied 2 years ago.
Do you need anything more about your question?

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Last | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Rakhi Vasavada

    Financial and Legal Consultant

    Satisfied Customers:

    Graduated in law with Emphasis on Finance and have have been working in financial sector for over 12 Years
< Last | Next >
  • Rakhi Vasavada's Avatar

    Rakhi Vasavada

    Financial and Legal Consultant

    Satisfied Customers:

    Graduated in law with Emphasis on Finance and have have been working in financial sector for over 12 Years
  • Manal Elkhoshkhany's Avatar

    Manal Elkhoshkhany


    Satisfied Customers:

    More than 5000 online tutoring sessions.
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • JKCPA's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Bachelors degree and CPA with Accounting experience.
  • Eric's Avatar


    Financial Manager

    Satisfied Customers:

    Loan servicing, counseling and real estate expert. Foreclosure Expert and Financial Planner.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA


    Satisfied Customers:

    Intuit Ask a Tax Expert. QuickBooks Certified Pro Advisor (all editions)
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    NASD Licensed Rep, 1997-2001, Business Attorney