R. Klein, EA
R. Klein, EA, Accountant
Experience:  Intuit Ask a Tax Expert. QuickBooks Certified Pro Advisor (all editions)
63817126

can a money order be traced to the account into which it is

Customer Question

can a money order be traced to the account into which it is deposited?
Category: Finance
Expert:  R. Klein, EA replied 2 years ago.

fastfile :

Yes, all deposits can be traced back to the account of deposit because the depositing institution gives the paying institution its ACH info

fastfile :

It is not as easy to trace the purcahser of the MO because a cash purchaser could have gone to the store to buy it.

Customer :

"Yes, all deposits can be traced back to the account of deposit because the depositing institution gives the paying institution its ACH info"

Customer :

you have already lost me hear. What is the depositing institution and what is the paying institution?

Customer :

Suppose my person A buys a draft at their bank with cash and the draft is made out to person B. Person A gives the draft to person B. Person B deposits the draft into their bank account. My current (though weak) understanding is that the paying institution is the bank that prints/gives the draft to person A and the depositing institution in the bank that person B deposits the draft into. Is this correct?

Customer :

If it is correct, then my only remaining question is: how difficult is it for police to do such a trace?

fastfile :

A check or money order is nothing more than a request for a financial institution (bank) to pay another institution. When Person A writes a check or gets a money order, this is a request to send money to Person B's bank where it is cashed.

fastfile :

It is very easy for an investigator to trace back deposited funds if there is evidence of a crime.

fastfile :

If you were defrauded for a few hundred dollars, however, it's not worth the time and effort of the police to do such a seach. You can do your own research if you were the purchaser of the money order. If the deposit is related to a serious crime, such as grand theft or a murder, the police will certainly trace the funds.

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
how is the trace conducted?

I'm not sure what you are asking.

Someone calls the bank where the money was paid from and asks where the payment went to. You trace the money back one step at a time. Every transaction has a history.

You would have to start with the money order company to find out what bank they paid.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? How large of a transaction are you trying to trace?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
can anyone do a trace like this if they are the one who ordered the money order or does it take some special clearance level like that only the police would have.

It depends on the laws in your state regarding banking privacy and it depends on whether the money order company is willing to help. You may need a court order.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what does there need to be a money order company, why can't the bank alone be responsible for the money order?

Most banks don't issue their own money orders. Money order companies do that.

But, it makes no difference. You have to start the trace at the end of the line. Where ever the money was sent from.

It sounds like you need to hire a private investigator to assist you at this point. That would probably be the best option as they have tools and friends that can help you.

The answer to your original question is: YES, it can be traced. I am sorry, but I cannot give you exact step-by-step directions on how to do it in this forum.