Dave CPA
Dave CPA , Accountant
Experience:  I'm a CPA with over 10 years of experience
15068660

I want to become an accountant, but I majored in economics

I want to become an accountant, but I majored in economics in college. What is the best way for me to get a job in accounting? If I wanted to go to graduate school for accounting, what additional courses would I need to take?
Category: Finance
Expert:  Dave CPA replied 4 years ago.
Hi I'm Dave and I did the similar path that you did.

I assume that you are in the US. I started out in college with a degree in music business. I soon realized that there were more job options in the accounting field. While I as in college for undergrad, I started doing temp work in the accounts payable department to get a foot in the door. Usually low level jobs like AR or AP, you don't need a degree or experience.

If you like in a large city, contact a local temp to hire firm line Robert Half or Ajilon. They usually have a lot of entry level positions for someone in your situation. If you make an appointment with them an explain that you want an entry level position, I'm sure they could help you out.

While working I went to grad school to get a masters in accounting and then my CPA license. Now I'm happy as can be. Especially in this market when jobs aren't easy to come by, there is always a need to an accountant no matter what the industry.
Expert:  Dave CPA replied 4 years ago.

I hope your day is going well. I noticed that you reviewed my answer earlier today. If you feel that you need more information, please let me know. If you are satisfied with the answer please kindly hit the accept button.

Have a great day.

Dave