Rakhi Vasavada
Rakhi Vasavada, Financial and Legal Consultant
Experience:  Graduated in law with Emphasis on Finance and have have been working in financial sector for over 12 Years
43581946

My ex is driving around in a car which I am paying under a

My ex is driving around in a car which I am paying under a fixed sum loan agreement. The laon expires in March 2012.....I have asked her via a lawyers letter to pay for it now we have separated and thus far she has refused claiming it is her car and it is not a HP agreement. She is the registered keeper with the DVLA. Can I reposess it or get her to make the payments to me ?

Dear Friend,

DVLA registered keeper is the person who is responsible for the vehicle and a point of contact for the insurance companies and the DVLA. However, very clearly note that being a registered keeper DOES NOT make you the owner. The Ownership of the vehicle and the registered keeper are different.

In your case, you are the owner, and merely being the registered keeper does not make your wife the owner.

You have ground to make her pay or in certain circumstances get is reposesed. You will need a local legal advice and it is best advice to follow the local advice that you are getting.

Hope this helps...
Warm Regards,