Taxtom
Taxtom, Accountant
Experience:  25 Years in preparing Personal and Business Tax Retuns
21049508

my pension is not suject to social security taxes, i never

Customer Question

my pension is not suject to social security taxes, i never paid into that program for 30 years.Irs wants me to believe that my pension belongs to my husband and recalculates our taxes every year to tax my husbands s.s. benefit which i am excluded from. my pension under state law is not to be diminished in any form. i present them with the laws but they just ignore me
Category: Finance
Expert:  Taxtom replied 3 years ago.

Taxtom :

Hello, do you pay income taxes on your pension?

Customer :

It is a 401a and I paid into the pension program for thirty years(city of chicago health, yes it is taxable

Taxtom :

If your taxable income including your pension and 1/2 of his Social Security is more than $25,000 his Social Security is taxable.

Customer :

if my pension is not suject to soc. sec taxes which also results in double dipping, how is that so what can I do to correct this

Taxtom :

The tax is not Social security tax but federal income tax

Customer :

they calculate my pension on the s.s. worksheet with my hus benefits then return 10,000 to front of 1040 and tax pension again. is s.s. taxable in ill

Customer :

we both are retired and do not work, my husb did not pay into his pension, I did under 501

Taxtom :

No, It is not taxed on the state level

Customer :

is this a violation of pension code

Taxtom :

I do not have that information in front of me but most pensions are taxable since there was no taxes paid at the time the money was earned.

Taxtom :

In 1984 Social Security started taxing benefits for anyone who made more income than what is now $25,000 a year for a married couple

Customer :

additionally, i will never rec a s.s. benefit. I paid tax on my entire incme when i work.ed. The law says 401a is not taxable.My pension does not belong to my husb to be calc first on a s.s. worksheet for which i can not take half off my benefits

Taxtom :

The amount put in a governement account for your behave were not taxed and usually if you also invested those were not taxed

Taxtom :

You can file a married but seperate return but more of his SS benefits would be taxed

Taxtom :

They are actually not taxing you more but your husband

Customer :

further the social security planner on s.s. website does make mention of my concern.If my entire paycheck was taxed and it included the pension amounts ,why not I still have my check stubs

Customer :

I worked and earned income under subtitle A my husb worked under subtitle C (915) s.s.

Customer :

previously the civil service retirement system

Customer :

years ago the were seperate from s.s. I never paid into s.s.

Customer :

sec 61 states no double dipping and I am allowed a deduction

Customer :

thank you anyway, one day you will have to retire. I hope they don't change the rules in the middle of the game on you all. SAVE YOUR CHECK STUBBS and hope you get help years from now

Taxtom :

I agree social security should not be taxed but currently it is the law

Customer :

yes for people who worked and paid taxes under subtitle C, perhaps you are not familiar with this. Thanks again, sorry I bothered you. I just cannot understand why people don.t pay attention to the law as written plain as day.

Taxtom :

No problem