CGCPA
CGCPA, CPA
Experience:  40+ years experience in taxes and financial planning
50756543

Hello! Im looking to open a Roth IRA account and I like the

Customer Question

Hello! I'm looking to open a Roth IRA account and I like the Bruce (BRUFX) Fund. I'm 53 now and would like to let this run until I'm 65/67 time frame. I've been watching this fund for a few weeks and see it is dropping again. Do you feel this would be the correct step for me at this point...this would be just a suppliment income at 65.
One more, why are the shares so high priced compared to other funds? Thanx, David
Category: Finance
Expert:  CGCPA replied 2 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. I am here to help you resolve your tax and finance concerns. Please feel free to ask anytime you need extra help.

I researched this fund and am not overly impressed with it. The fund peaked a in 2009 and has declined steadily ever since. If you think it will recover, based on your research, this would be the opportune time to get involved. Otherwise, stay with something more stable. Even bank certificates of deposit are doing better.

The funds price is a bit high but that is just a per share price. Funds typically have per share prices that vary so it is not possible to say why this fund has such a high price.

Personally, I would not invest there.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, well if the Bruce fund (I looked over its 10 year run) doesn't look good, do you have a fund you do like? What about VEIEX and/or PRPFX?
Expert:  CGCPA replied 2 years ago.

I shy away from particular fund recommendations. That is the territory of investment advisers and consumers who do their own homework carefully. I do invest and will suggest you look into www.invesco.com and www.johnhancock.com. Both have a variety of funds to suit your particular preferences. I do not know enough about your lifestyle, assets, liquidity, and risk tolerance to go past this point. The two fund families noted above have worksheets on the web sites to help you make your own determinations if you prefer to avoid an investment adviser.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Those two website you gave me have front-end or load fees...not good. What about Index Funds?
Expert:  CGCPA replied 2 years ago.
I am not aware of any specific index funds I could recommend.