Manal Elkhoshkhany
Manal Elkhoshkhany, Tutor
Experience:  More than 5000 online tutoring sessions.

Saint Leo Manufacturing is going to introduce a new product

Saint Leo Manufacturing is going to introduce a new product line and to accomplish this
it has four projects analyzed in which it wants to invest a total of $100 million. Your job is to
find what it will cost to raise this amount of capital based on the cost of the capital as outlined
below:

PROJECTS
A B C D
INVESTMENT $30,000,000 $20,000,000 $25,000,000 $25,000,000
EXPECTED RETURN 10.00% 14.00% 11.50% 16.00%

The firms capital structure consists of: FMV
CAPITAL STRUCTURE PERCENTAGE AMOUNT
DEBT 30% $15,000,000
PREFERRED STOCK 10% $5,000,000
COMMON STOCK 60% $30,000,000
$50,000,000
Other information about the firm:
CORPORATE TAX RATE 35%
DEBT
CURRENT PRICE $900.00
ANNUAL INTEREST 9.00% CURRENT INTEREST PAID SEMIANNUALLY
ORIGINAL MATURITY 25 YEARS, BUT NOW 20 YEARS LEFT
MATURITY VALUE $1,000.00
FLOTATION COSTS INSIGNIFICANT
MARKET YIELD PROJECTED:
UP TO $20 MILLION 9%
ABOVE $20 MILLION 12% 3 % additional premium

PREFERRED STOCK
CURRENT PRICE $50.00
LAST DIVIDEND (D0) $5.00 FIXED AT 10% OF PAR
FLOTATION COST $2.00
NEXT DIVIDEND (D1) $5.00

COMMON STOCK
CURRENT PRICE $33.00
LAST DIVIDEND (D0) $1.50
RETAINED EARNINGS $16,000,000
GROWTH RATE (g) 9%
FLOTATION COSTS $3.00
NEXT DIVIDEND (D1) $1.635

NOTE - Once retained earnings is maxed out, new common stock will need to be issued.
Any preferred stock would be new preferred stock. You may want to review the Practice Problems and Solutions at the end of Chapter 11.

REQUIRED:
In all of the required parts, one part builds on the previous part. If you can't do a part, use the
set of other numbers to solve the next part.
a. What is the current Kd, Kp, and Ke assuming no new debt or stock is issued?
b. Since any new capital investment will require issuing new preferred stock, what would the
the new returns be for the preferred stock (knp) and the new cost of capital?
c. What is the amount of increase (marginal cost of capital) in capital structure (in $) where the firm runs
out of retained earnings and would be forced to issue new common stock?
d. If new common stock has to be issued, what is the new return required to be (Kne) and the
new cost of capital?

Part a
Current price of the debt (Answer should be in $)
Maturity value of the debt (Answer should be in $)
Interest payment on the debt (Answer should be in $)
Payment periods left on the debt (Answer is the number of periods left on the debt in months)
Yield rate on the debt (Answer should be in %; 2 decimal places, please)
Annual yield on the debt (Answer should be in %; 2 decimal places, please)
Kd (Answer should be in %; 2 decimal places, please)
Kp (Answer should be in %; 2 decimal places, please)
Ke (Answer should be in %; 2 decimal places, please)
Current Cost of Capital (Answer should be in %; 2 decimal places, please)

Part b
Use your solutions in part a to do this part, but if you couldn't complete part a, assume Kd=7%, Kp=11%, and Ke=14%.
Knp preferred stock (Answer should be in %; 2 decimal places, please)
New cost of capital (Answer should be in %; 2 decimal places, please)

Part c
If the capital structure increases more than (Answer should be in $-hint: in millions of dollars)

Part d
Kne common stock (Answer should be in %; 2 decimal places, please)
If you could not come up with the Kne returns, do the cost of capital assuming Kd=7%, Knp=12%, and Ke=14%.
Category: Finance
Expert:  Manal Elkhoshkhany replied 2 years ago.

Hello

Please click on the following link for the solutions:

http://www.box.net/shared/78t2utzkry9iazoyshqu

P.S. If you like my services, please feel free to direct your future posts to me specifically by typing "For BusinessTutor" at the beginning of your post. Should you choose to do this, please try to allow me 48 hours before the deadline. If you need to meet me online for a timed assignment, please advise me of the date and time (EST) you want me to meet you here and I will. Please make sure you take the length (and number) of the questions into consideration when making your offer to avoid delays in providing solutions.

Thank you

Manal Elkhoshkhany, Tutor
Experience: More than 5000 online tutoring sessions.