Eric, Financial Manager
Experience:  Loan servicing, counseling and real estate expert. Foreclosure Expert and Financial Planner.

Ive been in the custody of my Dad since I was 8yrs, Ive now

Customer Question

I've been in the custody of my Dad since I was 8yrs, I've now just turned 19. My dad passed away three months ago, with no will or assets. While home visiting for summer vacation. I'm currently in my second year of college and am left to take care of myself. I have no income, my mother is not in the picture. After my dad's death I spent the remaining summer sleeping on friends couches. I was able to attend school this year because my dad had already completed the FSAS paperwork prior to me coming home. I am very worried that I will not be able to continue school or take care of myself financially. Is there any resouces or programs that may help me continue?

thank you,
Category: Finance
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

Eric :

I appreciate the opportunity to help!

Eric : have a couple of options to start with. You really need to start looking for a job so that you can start supporting yourself. This comes down to a life change that you have not been used to and starts with a job and making some money. Then you build your school around that. You also may want to look into State programs like job assistance and welfare.

Eric :

Here is a link to the Maryland Dept of Human Resources that you can investigate programs further.