DanielleCPA
DanielleCPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  CPA experienced in tax and financial planning
50747609

I AM 79 YEARS OLD. I HAVE COLLECTED SS SINCE AGE 62. DIVORCED

I AM 79 YEARS OLD. I HAVE COLLECTED SS SINCE AGE 62. DIVORCED AND HAVE BEEN REMARRIED 22 YEARS. FIRST WIFE DIED FEB 99. QUESTION IF MY FIRST WIFES SS IS OR WAS MORE THEN MINE IS NOW, WOULD I BE ELIGIBLE TO COLLECT IT?? SECOND QUESTION.
IF I WAS ELIGIBLE WHAT WOULD BE THE PROCEDURE TO FIND OUT IF THE AMOUNT WAS
MORE?
Category: Finance
Expert:  DanielleCPA replied 5 years ago.

DMC :

Hi and welcome to Just Answer! I'm happy to help answer your Finance questions. Feel free to interject at any time if you need clarification.

DMC :

1) If your first wife's Social Security is more than yours and you were married for at least 10 years, you may be eligible to collect benefits based on her earnings.

DMC :

2) You will need to contact your local Social Security office or call SS at 1-800-772-1213 to find out if your first wife's benefit is more than yours.

DMC :

Please let me know if you have any follow-up questions and I will gladly answer them. If not, then please hit the green accept button to indicate I answered your question.