DanielleCPA
DanielleCPA , Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  CPA experienced in tax and financial planning
50747609

II have not filed in 5 years due to my partners sudden very

Customer Question

II have not filed in 5 years due to my partners sudden very disabling heath. We have a seasonal type of business. I've only actually made 14,500 average a year since then. That's what was left after all expenses were paid. I only work seasonally and never have the money on tax day as we've gone 3 months without pay by that time. I take care of my partner although we are not married. He gets only $600.00 per month and pays $ 150.00 of that for child support.$14,500.00 + $450.00 is not exactly a fortune and we struggle everyday to stay afloat. What on earth should I do about getting these back taxes paid and were do I start? This is eating me up with worry and I now have serious health problems that keeps me from doing much more work.( Serious heart and gastrointestinal problem.
Category: Finance
Expert:  DanielleCPA replied 5 years ago.

DMC :

Hi and welcome to Just Answer! I'm happy to help answer your Finance questions. Feel free to interject at any time if you need clarification.

DMC :

Do you have your W2s from your jobs for the past 5 years?

DMC :

Is the $600 a month your partner receives Social Security?

Customer : no W2s I'm self employed. I do have a stack of semi organised receipts for gas parts insurance bank statements and 1099s for the 3 off and on people who help in the business.
DMC :

Okay, you will need to start with the first year that you haven't filed. Summarize the receipts/transactions on you bank statement, whether it is using an Excel spreadsheet or even just a pad of paper. Get a total for each category for the year - total insurance, total gas, total office supplies, etc.

DMC :

Do this for each year and then you will be ready to either take the summarized information to a tax preparer or prepare the returns yourself.

DMC :

You can access prior year forms at this link if you will be preparing them yourself: http://www.irs.gov/formspubs/article/0,,id=98339,00.html