Taxtom
Taxtom, Accountant
Experience:  25 Years in preparing Personal and Business Tax Retuns
21049508

My son and his wife were advised to stop making their mortgage

Customer Question

My son and his wife were advised to stop making their mortgage pmts over 2 years ago (they also had a 2nd mortgage). After a year of no payments the we forced out and the home was sold at auction. Bank of America held the 2nd and has now sent a collection agency after them. They are now renters, and can barely scrape by. What are their options?
Category: Finance
Expert:  Taxtom replied 5 years ago.

Taxtom :

Hello, They really have only two options, one reach a payment agreement with the bank to pay off the debt or file the debt in banktuptcy. Nevada laws allows 6 years to file to suit to recover the amount owed. They may be able to settle the debt for a fraction what is owed if they can come up with money to do so. Thanks Tom