DanielleCPA
DanielleCPA , Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  CPA experienced in tax and financial planning
50747609

We are a small non-profit and need a 990 prepared - we keep

Customer Question

We are a small non-profit and need a 990 prepared - we keep our financials through Quickbooks - can we find a online CPA do prepare a 990?
Category: Finance
Expert:  DanielleCPA replied 5 years ago.

DMC :

Hi and welcome to Just Answer! I'm happy to help answer your Finance questions. Feel free to interject at any time if you need clarification.

DMC :

Your best bet would be to find a local CPA in your area of South Carolina, as their input can be invaluable in the operations of a non-profit.

DMC :

I really would not recommend someone online. Most online accounting services are bookkeeping services, and in my professional opinion, would not be appropriate for a non-profit needing to file a 990. I'm sure there are qualified individuals out there, but it's a risk.

JACUSTOMER-eyshgp61- :

What is the risk?

JACUSTOMER-eyshgp61- :

Please reply what do you mean by "risk"?

DMC :

The risk is that's it harder to determine the competency of a tax preparer online. Depending on what version of the 990 you are filing, the 990 can be very complex. I think it would be harder to find a CPA that operates online that's familiar with 990s than one for a for-profit corporation. That's all that I mean by risk -- that you are less likely to find someone familiar with the intricacies of non-profit accounting via an online accounting service.

DMC :

If you don't mind, what are your total revenues, less than 50K average for the past 3 years, 50K to 200 K, or above 200K?\

JACUSTOMER-eyshgp61- :

Around $900,000

DMC :

So, you would need to file the full form, which can be quite complex depending on many schedules you need to file along with it.. If you can find someone out there online that specializes in non-profits, then go for it. If not, I think your best option is a local CPA who does extensive non-profit work.