How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Eric Your Own Question
Eric, Financial Manager
Category: Finance
Satisfied Customers: 559
Experience:  Loan servicing, counseling and real estate expert. Foreclosure Expert and Financial Planner.
Type Your Finance Question Here...
Eric is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Friend just diagnosed with breast cancer. 68 yr olf Philipino

Resolved Question:

Friend just diagnosed with breast cancer. 68 yr olf Philipino that is US Resident but not citizen. she is a caregiver to an 89 year old. He has been paying her $2,000/month that she sends to her family in the Philipines. He lets her live for free at his house. She needs medical insurance/Medicaid. She wanted to lie to Unenployment office and tell them she gets no money. What is the best way to help her? How far back does the government go on back taxes?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Finance
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

Eric :

I appreciate the opportunity to help!

Eric :

Unfortunately her situation is difficult. She is making an income that is not being reported. Even though she may be sending it back home, its still taxable monies. Aside from that, going back and worrying about reporting this is the least of her concerns at this point. Getting health insurance may be possible with a recent diagnosis, but it would be very expensive in terms of premiums. She may not be able to get coverage with a pre-existing condition. Medicaid is possible, but this income is a problem.

Eric :

As long as the income is within 20% of the poverty level in Indiana, she could not qualify. She could start by cutting this income down to the poverty level and start keeping track of this and reporting it. Then she can prove that she has a small amount of money in consideration of caring for the gentleman. The pverty level in Indiana is: $10,830.00 per year or $901 per month. Then once that is established, she could apply for medicaid.

Eric and other Finance Specialists are ready to help you