DanielleCPA
DanielleCPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  CPA experienced in tax and financial planning

The following information concerns production in the Banking

Customer Question

The following information concerns production in the Banking Department for March. All direct materials are placed in process at the beginning of production.

a. Determine the number of units in work in process inventory at the end of the month.
b. Determine the equivalent units of production for direct materials and conversion cost in MARCH.

Determine:
1. Direct materials cost per equivalent unit.
2. Conversion cost per equivilant unit.
3. Cost of the beginning work in process completed during MARCH.
4. Cost of units started and completed during MARCH.
5. Cost of the ending work in process.

b. Assuming that the direct materials cost is the same for February and March, did the conversion cost per equivalent unit increase, decrease, or remain the same in MARCH?
Category: Finance
Expert:  DanielleCPA replied 3 years ago.

DMC :

Hi and welcome to Just Answer! I'm happy to help answer your Finance questions. Feel free to interject at any time if you need clarification.

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.

Hi, the information you provided is just text, no numbers.. There is no financial information. Can you please provide it? Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
graphicgraphic
Thanks! Will get you this ASAP.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks

Was a breakdown of the beginning materials and conversion costs provided in the problem? I have the total but not the breakdown. Was there anything?

And what method are you using to compute equivalent units? FIFO or weighted-average?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

FIFO

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

FIFO....PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU GOING TO HELP ME WITH THIS ONE

A. Units in WIP
Beginning Units + Units Started - Units Transferred Out
8,000+145,000-148,000=5,000
Units Started and Completed
Units Transferred Out - Beginning Units
148,000-8000=140,000
MaterialsConversion Costs
Units% CompleteEquiv. Units% CompleteEquiv. Units
Beg WIP Completed8,000 0%- 60%4,800
Started & Completed140,000 100%140,000 100%140,000
Ending WIP5,000 100%5,000 60%3,000

Equiv units material = 145,000

equiv units conversion costs = 147800

1. DM Cost/Unit
232,000/145,000 = 1.6
2. Conversion Cost/Unit
(66,400+37,060)/147,800 = .7
3. Beg WIP completed during March
15360 + (4800 * 0.7)=18,720
4. Cost of units started and completed during march
140,000 * (1.6 + .7) = 322,000
5. Cost of ending WIP
10,100
B. DM same, conversion cost increase, decrease, same?
Decrease
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't see the answer for these questions.

Determine:
2. Conversion cost per equivilant unit.
5. Cost of the ending work in process.

The answers are immediately above your reply, but just in case.

1. $1.6

2. $.7

3. 18,720

4. 322,000

5. 10,100

B. Decrease

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can you specify the first A & B just the total because I am not sure with all those numbers ....

Sure, sorry for the poor formatting above.

A) 5,000 units in WIP

B) Direct materials = 145,000 equivalent units

Conversion Costs = 147,800 equivalent units

Experience: CPA experienced in tax and financial planning