Rakhi Vasavada
Rakhi Vasavada , Financial and Legal Consultant
Experience:  Graduated in law with Emphasis on Finance and have have been working in financial sector for over 12 Years
43581946

We have to replace our existing car (a modest sedan work $10k)

We have to replace our existing car (a modest sedan work $10k) because my wife has a neurological disease which makes it painful to sit in our car. She has gone to the auto show to test dozens of cars and the only one that does not cause this pain is a luxury car which costs over $40k including options for the upgraded seats. We need to buy this because she needs to drive to work and to go to doctors appointments. I would like to understand if we can claim all or part of this expense as medical expense deduction on our tax return.
Category: Finance
Expert:  Rakhi Vasavada replied 5 years ago.

Dear Friend,

To the best of my knowledge, you cannot claim the entire cost of the car as a medical expense.

However, you can certainly claim the "Upgradation Costs' as an expense. IRS Publication 502 says ".....You can include in medical expenses the cost of special hand controls and other special equipment installed in a car for the use of a person with a disability...."

You can have the full publication for your reference at http://www.irs.gov/publications/p502/ar02.html#en_US_publink1000178913

I am sure this would help...

Warm Regards,