DanielleCPA
DanielleCPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  CPA experienced in tax and financial planning
50747609

tpersonal income tax question I am a Physical Therapist,

Customer Question

tpersonal income tax question: I am a Physical Therapist, employed by two employers. I do NOT own my own business. If I am traveling 265 miles to my second job, and I have purchased a house there to stay at 4 days a week, can I deduct travel expenses or any other living expenses under these circumstances?
Category: Finance
Expert:  DanielleCPA replied 5 years ago.

DMC :

Hi and welcome to Just Answer! I'm happy to help answer your Finance questions. Feel free to interject at any time if you need clarification.

DMC :

Since your arrangement to work out of state is indefinite, you would not be able to deduct the travel expenses or your living expenses while away from home. Here is a link to an article from the IRS on business travel expenses. http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc511.html

DMC :

However, you are able to deduct the mortgage interest and property taxes on the second home of Schedule A of your tax return if you are able to itemize deductions. For 2011, a couple married filing a joint return can itemize if there total deductions exceed the standard deduction of $11,600. Other itemized deductions would include state income taxes, mortage interest and taxes on your first home, charitable deductions, and medical expenses in excess of 7.5% of your adjusted gross income.

DMC :

If you have any follow-up questions, please feel free to post them here. If not, please hit the green accept button. Thanks!

DMC :

Any follow-up questions?

Customer :

I need to study the IRS info in the link you sent me to see if I believe that I am elligible for travel expense deductions. I already deduct the mortgage interest and taxes for my second home. I will get back to you. Thank you.