Experience:  40+ years experience in taxes and financial planning

What are the best tax avenues to buy working interests in oil

What are the best tax avenues to buy working interests in oil projects? Would it be better to form an S-Corp and go about it as a business or would it be better to just file as an individual and receive a K-1 (I think its called) at the end of the year? Could there be any added benefits of forming a corporation if I pursue this?
Category: Finance
Expert:  CGCPA replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. I am here to help you resolve your tax and finance concerns. Please feel free to ask anytime you need extra help.

If the oil project itself is a corporation there is no added advantage to setting up another corporation for your investment. The primary advantage of a corporation is the limited liability it affords. If they are already incorporated, your liability is limited to your investment and you would gain nothing. There are no tax advantages here to incorporating.

If you need clarification, please feel free to ask.