Taxtom
Taxtom, Accountant
Experience:  25 Years in preparing Personal and Business Tax Retuns

In January 2011, I received a settlement award in a class action

In January 2011, I received a settlement award in a class action lawsuit. The gross amount of the award was $18,153 of which $1265 in taxes were withheld from $3289 allocated as "Wages" (W-2 to be issued). The rest of the award, $14,863, was allocated as non-wage income & interest (1099 MISC to be issued). So my net award (the check I received) was for $16,888.

Before deductions, what will my income be in regards XXXXX XXXXX award on my tax return?

Is the $3289 of my gross "Wages" portion of the award included even though $1265 in taxes were withheld? Or is the $2024 net "Wages" included in my income -- the remaining amount AFTER taxes witheld?
Category: Finance
Expert:  Taxtom replied 3 years ago.

Taxtom :

Hello, The total of award $18,153 will be reported as other income in the amount of $14,863 and wages of $3,289 on your return. You will record the $1265 in taxes paid the same as all other W2's. Since the revenue wasn't paid until 2011 you would report this in 2012 on your 2011 return. Thanks Tom

Expert:  Taxtom replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Tom. In regards XXXXX XXXXX 2010 tax return I'm wondering if it's okay to get an extension until October. After a standard deduction of $5700 I will only have a net income of around $1500. There would be no taxes due on that amount if I'm correct. In that case there wouldn't be a penalty with the IRS?

On $1500, how much would I have to pay in Social Security, Medicare, etc.

Also, are my Social Security disability payments ($666 a month or $7992 annually) exempt from taxes?
Expert:  Taxtom replied 3 years ago.
Hello, Unless you are planning to file for a refund there is no reason to file the extension. You must make $25,000 before your social security is taxable. Thanks Tom
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry Tom, but you didn't answer one of my questions. How much social security and medicare would I have to pay if my net income is $1500? Would I be penalized if I filed with an extension (it's more convenient for me then filing before April.)

I will ACCEPT as soon as you reply.
Expert:  Taxtom replied 3 years ago.
Hello, You have no taxable income. In addition to your standard deduction you have personal exemption of $3650 so you have no taxable income. You do not have to file. Thanks Tom
Taxtom, Accountant
Experience: 25 Years in preparing Personal and Business Tax Retuns