Taxtom
Taxtom, Accountant
Experience:  25 Years in preparing Personal and Business Tax Retuns
21049508

This question relates to accelerated depreciation on two vehicles

Customer Question

This question relates to accelerated depreciation on two vehicles used for my LLC. One is a RAV-4 cost $33,000 - it is used 75% for business.
The other is a Chevorlette Corvette used 60% for business. Cost $58,000. How can I get the maximnum depreciated amount for each? In both cases can the sales tax or wrrenty coverage be deducted?
Category: Finance
Expert:  Taxtom replied 3 years ago.

Taxtom :

Hello, When were the vehicles purchased? Sales tax would be included in the vehicle cost for depreciation unless you paid it seperatly when you paid for your plates. If warranty was included with the cost of the vehicle it would be included in the depreciation, if purchased seperatly then you could either deduct completly this year or deduct a portion each of the length of the policy. Thanks Tom

Customer :

In 2010

Taxtom :

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX a few minutes I will see what the best way is. Tom

Customer :

How long do you think you will be......I have to go to a meeting?

Taxtom :

Hello again, First you would take the cost of the car and multiply by the business use to get your starting value. You then can do two things you can take accelerated depreciation under Section 179 and then take actual depreciation. You are limited to a maximum of just over $10, 000 per vehicle but that will be limited somewhat by the time of the year the vehicle was placed in service. I am snowed in and do not have the tax software on this computer or I could give you more exact calculation. If you are using almost any tax software it will do the work for. Thanks Tom

Taxtom :

Hello, did you see my answer? Tom

Expert:  Taxtom replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry I had to leave. The maximum would be 10kper car?
Expert:  Taxtom replied 3 years ago.
Hello, Yes the IRS caps the most you can take on vehicles. Tom