Karla, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  15 years experience in business as both accounting and auditing management

The World Bank is currently advising newly industrialized countries

The World Bank is currently advising newly industrialized countries on how to encourage growth and they have asked for your help.
•Using the Internet, library and/or other resources, research and briefly explain 2-3 methods currently being used to encourage economic growth for the typical firm in Hong Kong and for the typical firm in Singapore.
•Which of these methods of encouraging growth would you suggest for the typical company in Hong Kong and Singapore?
•Explain the rationale for your choice.
The mission of the World Bank is "to help developing countries and their people reach the goals by working with our partners to alleviate poverty." By focusing on six strategic themes used by the World Bank to support their mission "...the Bank delivers technical, financial and other assistance to those most in need and where it can have the greatest impact and promote growth. These themes are focusing efforts on the poorest countries, post-conflict and fragile states, middle-income countries, global public goods, the Arab world, and knowledge and learning. (WorldBank, 2011) The key to successful economic development is to implement strategies that include "a market economy, a high saving rate, and investment in infrastructure and in human capital". (Rittenberg, & Tregarthen, 2009)

Hong Kong and Singapore were considered newly industrialized countries (NIC's) during the 1970's and 80's. Since it is not possible to become an industrialized nation without a market economy, that strategy needs to be the first priority in a NIC. To have a market economy there must be "a division of labor in which the prices of goods and services are determined in a free price system set by supply and demand". (Altvater, 1993) The methods applied were to bring about industrial stability by dismantling the communist party and fostering discipline in employer-employee relations, to attract multi-nationals companies with existing technologies that were looking for new opportunities to expand globally, and to maximize the potential of its people so they can contribute the most to economic growth of the country. ("How singapore came," 2010)

By dismantling the communist party and fostering discipline in employer-employee relations these countries began to recognize property rights of the individuals. Without the consumer having the power to own property, the will be no free market systems. By implementing the second and third strategies, Hong Kong and Singapore were able to attract the necessary capital, technology and training necessary for a free market economy.

Altvater, E. (1993). The Future of the Market: An Essay on the Regulation of Money and Nature After the Collapse of "Actually Existing Socialism. Verso. pp. 57.

How singapore came to develop its high tech industry . (2010, June 20). Georgian Business Week, Retrieved from

Rittenberg, L, & Tregarthen, T. (2009). 19.3. Keys to Economic Development. Principles of macroeconomics . Retrieved February 3, 2011, from

WorldBank, . (2011). About us. Retrieved from
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi.....After I review the answer about the World Bank & industrialized nations, can you let me know if you are able to complete the following assignment for me by Sunday 2/6 at 5pm.......

You want to be part of the Green Revolution and are looking to find ways to reduce your energy use. But first, you must know what your energy use is. Make and save a chart in a Microsoft Word or Excel file to keep track of your energy use for 2 days this week. Include the following: What types of energy/fuel did you use (including any alternative sources of energy) What was the purpose of the energy/fuel use (heating/cooling, recreational, etc.)?.... Save your chart, and present it with 2-3 paragraphs containing the following information. Which primary energy source does your electric company generate electricity (coal, nuclear, etc.)? How did you find out? What changes could you make to decrease your energy use? What changes could you make to increase your energy efficiency? What do you think would change if your heating oil or coal supply came from Russia? What environmental law, currently up for debate before a state or federal government, do you support and why? NEEDED: Chart & 2-3 Paragrapghs with References/citations Due: Saturday 2/5/11 by 11 pm EST ** Prefer a Word file but will take whatever is easiest/most convenient for the JA Expert....THANKS & I LOOK FORWARD TO YOUR RESPONSE.

Thanks for the offer, but I think I am going to have to pass on this one. I think the "Green Revolution" is a load of bunk and an excuse to grab more money in the form of higher prices for energy and additional fees for Govt. Even Al Gore has admitted that allot of the global warming stuff was not real, so why are we still talking about this?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

THANKS as usual for the prompt response. Have a good night