Manal Elkhoshkhany
Manal Elkhoshkhany, Tutor
Experience:  More than 5000 online tutoring sessions.
3708793

P11-11 (Depreciation for Partial Periods SL, Act., SYD, and

Customer Question

P11-11 (Depreciation for Partial Periods—SL, Act., SYD, and DDB) On January 1, 2005, a machine
was purchased for $77,000. The machine has an estimated salvage value of $5,000 and an estimated useful
life of 5 years. The machine can operate for 100,000 hours before it needs to be replaced. The company
closed its books on December 31 and operates the machine as follows: 2005, 20,000 hrs; 2006, 25,000 hrs;
2007, 15,000 hrs; 2008, 30,000 hrs; 2009, 10,000 hrs.
Instructions
(a) Compute the annual depreciation charges over the machine’s life assuming a December 31 yearend
for each of the following depreciation methods.
(1) Straight-line method. (3) Sum-of-the-years’-digits method.
(2) Activity method. (4) Double-declining balance method.
(b) Assume a fiscal year-end of September 30. Compute the annual depreciation charges over the asset’s
life applying each of the following methods.
(1) Straight-line method.
(2) Sum-of-the-years’-digits method.
(3) Double-declining balance method.
Category: Finance
Expert:  Manal Elkhoshkhany replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JA

Please click here for the solutions

P.S. If you like my services, please feel free to direct your future posts to me specifically by typing "For BusinessTutor" at the beginning of your post. Should you choose to do this, please try to allow me 48 hours before the deadline. If you need to meet me online for a timed assignment, please advise me of the date and time (EST) you want me to meet you here and I will. Please make sure you take the length (and number) of the questions into consideration when making your offer to avoid delays in providing solutions.

Thank you